I love TRS Active care -- I am answering this because another teacher on Twitter asked.
I have always gotten max coverage, doesn't matter which employer I worked with. I've been with Dallas ISD for 16 years, and we've had okay coverage until TRS Active Care.
I think the last plan we had was Aetna, and I'm really glad we left A. (From their commercia -- Aetna, Glad to Meetcha, not so much). I had a major battle getting my insulin pump covered.
I have TRS Active Care - Teir 3. Since we've been with them, they have covered 2 insulin pumps with absolutely no problems. In fact, this one they upgraded a month early.
Last summer I was in the emergency room and hospital for a 3 day stay and total cost was less than $500.00 I had already met my copay.
Here's a list of things I've had coverage for with no problems:
- 2 insulin pumps and their assorted supplies
- 1 AutoPap Machine (for sleep apnea) and all supplies, they cover new masks very frequently I am thinking 3 months.
- Cardiac Catherization and complete workups ever couple of years. There was one item they didn't cover, which I did do. Cardiologist wanted it, primary care physcian thought it was experimental -- it was something they do to keep from doing the catherazation.
- Lap Band surgery which I am currently dealing with and it is costing me total less than $750. That includes the cost of jumping through the hoops -- 6 months medically supervised diet came out of pocket.
- Symvist in knees and physical therapy. I think that worked, but I have to really hurt before I go back for that.
- Chiropractic care for shoulder
Medco -- the pharmacy plan -- drives me absolutely nuts. I've blogged about Medco at http://www.kweaver.org/blog My favorite is that they spend more money shipping a $15.00 birth control injection than they do for $600.00 of insuln or Symlin.
While I am at it, i also recommend doing the Flexible Savings Plan. I just recently maxed out that -- and it is super.
Here how it works in our district. You tell them to take out money for Flexible Saving Plan. Pretax dollars. You get a credit card. You use the credit card to pay for everything until it's maxed out. I maxed out this month. Note that I still have medical expenses coming so I have to now pay for them with regular payments. Also note that I was able to spend the money before it was all put in.
LOVE TRS ACTIVE CARE! Especially the Tier 3 BCBS Version. Would NOT work for a school district without it.