Just went through the applications for STEM awards. They always irritate me. The application states exactly the font, paragraph layout, etc.
We had about 6 different applications which did not follow those guidelines. I personally don’t read those.
One question asks what is unique about your classroom. The following are NOT unique, as they are things that we are supposed to do:
- Have a warm nurturing environment
- Be rigorous
- Are student directed
- Using a tool that already exists on the internet.
I think about 90% of the applications I got, did not mention something unique, OR if it is, we need to examine what is going on in their school
The following things ARE unique:
- Write your OWN internet tool for collecting and grading work (That got me my first STEM award).
- Tell me that you have set up your classroom so that it resembles an airport lounge and you noticed your students worked better. Though that might fit under warm nurturing environment so be careful.
- Or something I’ve done recently, and gotten ahold of new tables so that students have 3 feet of work space rather than 2 1/2 feet and you have noticed they work harder and have less discipline problems.
In other words, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS!